So this post is entirely belated!
As many of you know, I hit up Lily Dale (a Spiritualist community in upstate NY) this summer and took a bunch of courses, one of which was tea leaf reading. The instructor was a very talented reader, and she read my cup for me - and came up with many more interesting things than I did when trying to read my own!
In retrospect, even though it’s only been few months, she was quite spot on. She said I’d be a bit overwhelmed with school, travel a lot very soon, not be worried at all about my love life, and that I should work a lot on self-promotion. It’s funny, because I actually think that the picture of the tea leaves in my cup are the spitting image of France (complete with tiny offshore island), which is one of the places I have been in the past few months. It’s all come to pass.
Apparently with tea leaf reading, we can read what’s in the cup, but also the stuff on our saucers. Perfectly round cups are preferred. I can say I’ve definitely become a tea snob within the last few months - no powdered tea bags for me, thank you very much - just the real deal!
Some tips for tea leaf reading, in case you’re new to it:
- Use only a teaspoon of tea leaves, in a small round cup like the one pictured above.
- Sip happily and calmly!
- Leave a little tiny bit of liquid.
- Flip cup over onto saucer, removing liquid & loose leaf bits.
- Turn your cup right side up once more, and check out what’s there!
- You can read it as one huge symbol or lots of tiny symbols, but it’s likely that what sticks out the most to you will be the most important aspect of the reading for you.
- Try to use your own personal interpretations. For me, the owl is a deeply sacred animal and one of my spirit guides, but in many tea leaf symbolism books they list the owl as a symbol of death/bad times.
- Have fun!